More than 3,500 children with special needs between the ages of 5 and 15 live in Polk, Boone, Dallas and Story counties and more than 800 attend Ankeny Community Schools. Today, there is a lack of recreational facilities to meet the needs of our young special needs population as accessible playgrounds and the ability to participate in sports leagues are virtually non-existent.
Since 2007, Ankeny Parks & Recreation and the Ankeny Kiwanis Club have partnered to offer “Super Kids,” a series of programs designed for our special needs community. We’ve joined together again to create and construct a Miracle Field & All-Inclusive Playground facility specifically designed for children with disabilities. The Miracle League Field & All-Inclusive Playground will be co-located in Hawkeye Park in Ankeny and will provide children with special needs and their families:
- A non-competitive co-ed baseball league
- A custom field made of cushioned, rubberized turf that is flat and free from obstacles
- A network of “Buddies” to teach, assist and protect players during play
- A 100% accessible playground on a rubberized surface
- A playground that focuses on maximum “play value” with an emphasis on inclusive play
- A sensory rich playground experience catering to kids with physical, cognitive and sensory disabilities